South Dakota State University – Brookings, SD
Masters of Science in Counseling and Human Resource Development 1994
Bachelors of Science in Mass Communications/Sociology 1992
Restorative Dialogue and Severe Criminal & Political Violence: A Journey toward Healing and Strength a six day seminar. Mark Umbreit PhD, Center for Restorative Justice & Peacemaking
Pass the Peace: Four Day Circle Training facilitated by Jamie Williams and Oscar Reed
Winona County Restorative Justice Circle Training with Kay Pranis
RealJustice Conferencing presented by the International Institute of Restorative Practices
Women’s Circle and Retreat, Facilitated by Linda Wolf, co-author Speaking and Listening From the Heart & Daughters of the Moon, Sisters of the Sun
MN Department of Corrections, Restorative Justice Facilitator Quarterly Trainings and Facility orientation.
University of Wisconsin – River Falls– River Falls, WI
Adjunct Professor 2008 – Present
Professor in the Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice Department. Offering the first 3 credit course in Restorative Justice. Restorative Justice Circle Process was utilized as the teaching format. Developed course content, evaluation and teaching methods. Evaluated student participation and assignments. Proposal for permanent course pending, and advance class scheduled for spring 2009.
St Croix Valley Restorative Justice – River Falls, WI
Executive Director 2005 – Present
Non-profit management, facilitating restorative justice programs, implementing the philosophy in the community and schools. Community liaison and committee member. Grant researcher, writer and reporter collecting data and maintaining relationships with donors and foundations. Providing training, workshops and professional presentations. Managing volunteer training and recruitment and programming needs. Program development and promotion. Implement and manage budget, financial reporting and reporting directly to the board of directors.
Workshop Facilitator and Trainer 2005 – Present
Providing training, workshops and break-out sessions on Restorative Justice, Circles and St. Croix Valley Restorative Justice Program. Schools and agencies contract with SCVRJP for staff development training and in-service. Learners have received credit from St. Mary’s University.
Dakota County–St. Paul, MN
Community Corrections Adult Unit 2005 – 2006
Probation agent responsible for adult probation transfer cases. Process requests to other counties regarding supervision of residence. Gather data from court reports, computer programs and collateral contacts. Manage caseload to ensure supervision and community safety. Refer to appropriate resources and engage court when necessary. Participate in unit meetings, staff development trainings and agency objectives.
Amicus, Inc.–St. Paul, MN
Girls Restorative Justice Project 2004 – 2005
Contract position with Ramsey County Corrections, Juvenile Units, co-facilitated girls group, facilitated grant activities and one-one meetings with young women on probation. Facilitated RJ Circles in the Juvenile Detention Center. Consulted with probation staff, advocated for youth and connected families to local service providers.
Pierce County Human Services – Ellsworth, WI
Children Youth and Families Program Manager 2001 – 2004
Supervisor for the child protection and juvenile justice units. Oversaw the supervision of 14 licensed social workers managing: intake, assessment, investigation, foster care, day care, juvenile court, case management, court orders, crisis intervention, emergency detention, independent living skills, parent aide services and out of home placements. Implemented Restorative Justice Programs, Family Group Decision Making (FGDM) and Proactive Community Supervision (PCS). FGDM received a commendation from WI Governors Office.
Olmsted County – Rochester, MN
Adolescent and Family Services Case Manager 1998 – 2001
Provide therapeutic and case management services to families and adolescents adjudicated of a violent offense and meeting SED (serious emotional disturbance) criteria. Teamed with probation and reported to the court utilized restorative justice approaches. Managed the grant and reporting requirements necessary to maintain Federal funding. Presented at child welfare conferences and workshops. Several clients were awarded scholarships and honors for demonstrating success and improvement.
University of South Dakota – Vermillion, SD
Student Counseling Center Therapist 1997 – 1998
Provided therapy for anxiety, depression, eating disorders, marriage problems, college adjustment issues and a variety of mental health concerns. Maintained client records and provided educational outreach services to students. Member of the crisis team that responded to college binge drinking emergencies. Sexual Assault Response Team member; responded to support rape victims through the medical, forensic and legal process.
· Author of the American Probation and Parole Association Award of Excellence in Community Crime Prevention – awarded February 2008
· Volunteer with Minnesota Department of Corrections – Restorative Justice Program, Vocare’ Co-facilitator, Shakopee Correctional Facility May 2008
· Featured in MN Twin Cities Public Television Program On the Road Together: Teen Driving featuring Restorative Justice Circles program
· Award of Merit for River Falls Community TV – Underage Drinking Forum
· SCVRJP awarded 2007 River Falls Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Year
· Evaluated and approved as a trainer by the MN Restorative Services Coalition
· Accommodation from WI Governor Jim Doyle for Family Group Decision Making
· Implemented Pierce County, WI Family Group Decision Making and Proactive Community Supervision Programs; featured in WI Sheriff’s Magazine
· Grant Writer for The Allstate Foundation Grant of $30,000.00 May 2007 & May 2008
· Grant Writer for the Otto Bremer Foundation $135,000 three-year grant March 2008
· Featured on Minneapolis MN KARE 11 News, St. Paul Pioneer Press Newspaper
· Guest on KFXN – Ridin’ Dirty – the only talk radio show dedicated to the issue of drinking & driving.
· SCVRJP receives Award of Recognition from MADD WI
· Wisconsin State Wide Prevention Conference
· UW Law School Traffic & Impaired Driving Law Program
· WI Child Welfare and Supervisor and Administrators Conference
· WI Juvenile Court Intake Association and WI Juvenile Officers Association Conference
· Women’s Spirituality Conference
· Adams-Friendship School District, Adams WI
· CESA 7 & CESA 11 workshop presenter
· American Probation & Parole Association – featured workshop
· WI Council on Children and Families Conference
· National Adult and Juvenile Female Offender Conference
· International Institute of Restorative Practices International Conference
· Guest Lecturer: UW Stout, UW River Falls & Rassmussen College
· MN Adolescent Female Conference
· River Falls, New Richmond, Sheboygan Falls School Districts Teacher In-Services